METAL BIRD MEDIA
Photography - Videography
For these sessions we have two basic styles ... Pin-Up and Boudoir. For the most part they are the same in how you prepare for the session, but depending on the look and feel of the photos you want that will guide us in how we approach it.
BOUDIOR is designed to be beautiful, tasteful and sexy. The photos show the sexy, sensual and seductive you coming thru. Smoldering eyes and that come hither look are all part of the sexually seductive look. Boudoir shows you as sexy and perfect, which is great for the feel good experience.
Typically shot in the studio, or on location at your place or in a hotel or nice home.
PIN-UP is the flirty retro looking 40's, 50's and 60's era inspired dress and posing, meant to be playful and fun. There is not really the sexy seduction of the eyes like in boudoir, but rather more of the playful pin-up look is in the hair, makeup and costume. Pin-up shows the good girl/bad girl appeal.
Typically shot in studio, or on location at a vintage/retro themed site. Classic car shows are a favorite.
A session at our studio is $249 plus tax, and is approximately 1-1.5 hours in length.
Additional fees will be assessed for location shoots considering mileage, admissions, rentals, etc.
That session includes a CD of all the processed images with touch ups and gives you full reprint permission to them.
A $50 deposit is required when you schedule session.
Consider scheduling a time to come out and meet with Rachel to discuss your ideas of what you are looking to do. Contact Us to set something up.
You are in charge of attire and props. We do have some props and accessories here but we like to leave it up to you to find and bring your own items. We find that the more that you search for, shop, and research ideas online the more excited and into it you will become, and that comes thru in the pictures!
If you would like to have a theme let us know and we can get the studio prepped. Send us your ideas ahead of time. Create a Pinterest board to share with us.
In the Pin-up line of things we have two old cars outside on our property to use as photo props. One is an orange/red 1960's Chevy Pickup and the other is a aged patina grey 1940's Hudson car. We also have Harley and Triumph motorcycles that looks great in pics.
Tips for your Pin-Up Session
• Groom yourself like you’re going on your honeymoon weekend. Shave anything that needs shaving, wax what needs waxing, tweeze, trim, etc. Also don’t forget to touch up your roots! It’s likely that you’ll be up close and personal with your photographer (Rachel).
• Hair and make up should be professionally done Pin-Up style. In addition to having make up and hair done, fake eyelashes are almost always recommended! ... Let me know if you would like more recommendations as to a Stylist to go with if you do not already have a personal favorite.
• Bring 2-3 outfit options (swimsuit, dress, lingerie, corset, etc.)
• Don’t forget your nails! Have well trimmed and shaped toenails and fingernails, trim and moisturize those cuticles, and paint your nails. If you have an aversion to polish- and least do a clear coat on all twenty digits.
• If you want to wear a garter belt and stockings, avoid anything that is designed to “stay up” on its own. Rubberized “thigh highs” and “stay ups” can make even the most toned thighs look like sausage. There are lots of online retailers that specialize in classic stockings that won’t bind your legs. Also, if you have less than toned thighs, a good trick is to find some completely sheer “sheer to waist” pantyhose as a foundation. (Make sure they are not control top! A good choice- Sheer Energy Sheer to Waist- they have the green stripe on the box.) The pantyhose will make your legs looks great, and then you can pull the stockings over them to have the stocking look with toned upper thigh.
• It’s all in the face! Pin-Ups are all about facial expression & personality. Find your personal “pin-up personality”. Are you smoldering and sexy? Cute and playful? Figure it out and spend some real time in front of the mirror finding out what expressions are best for you. Do what comes comfortably and most natural and your pictures will show that. We can always tell who has practiced faces before the shoot, and even a little practice means better pictures.
• While you’re at it, practice poses you’ve seen in classic pin-ups, or modern pin-up photos you admire (think Betty Page and Marilyn Monroe). Have a friend/lover/family member shoot you with a point and shoot or even a camera phone. The quality of the image will suck, but you’ll be able to see if you nailed a flattering pose or not. This way, when you get to your professional shoot, you’ll be sure and get your money’s worth!
• Always have double stick tape. This will help keep clothing where it should be while providing maximum cleavage.
• Don’t be afraid to be over dramatic, and really ham it up. Those “cheesy” ones are very often the best.
• When posing, try to keep your tongue firmly glued to the roof of your mouth. This will slim your face, and cut down on the double chin.
• Have a matching set of lingerie that fits well. Try on what you are bringing ahead of time.
• Create lots of angles with your body without pointing a joint to the camera. Never point elbows, knees, or armpits directly to the camera; this is extremely unflattering. Instead create angles where these joints are pointing away from the camera.
Great Make Up
Great make up is a must, so spend some extra time (or get it professionally done) so that you look stunning. False eye lashes are a great way to add a bit of extra glam. Think eyes, cheeks, lips -make sure you have all three, plus a great base of foundation (that matches your neck color, check for the “line” along your chin when you blend.)
Check to make sure you look great all around in the outfits you choose. You want to accentuate your favorite features and minimize any “trouble” areas. Make sure you try on your outfits in full before you get to the shoot and you’re happy with it. Only bring items that are clean and look (at least) nearly new. A tired bra, shirt or undies are going to look tired in the picture.
If you want to go Steamy you can look at doing some topless and or bare behind photos.
Tho Sexy doesn’t necessarily mean less clothing. Here are some wardrobe or theme ideas:
• Men’s dress shirt (white is my favorite) paired with panties, loose tie optional, fedora is a fun one. Heels or bare feet.
• Boyfriend/husband’s favorite t-shirt with cute panties. Fun knee high socks add a cute element.
• White sheet, wrapped up in.
• Shawl/cover up loosely wrapped in.
• Bra/pantie set.
• Corset and panties (stunning -highly recommend, particularly for curvier figures).
• Sheer shirt, tank top or camisole with panties.
• Vintage night gown or slip
• Sexy costume.
• Topless with casual jeans (use arms to cover breasts or lay stomach down.)
• Apron, panties and heels (recommend “cooking” props: cookbook, bowl and wisk, cake/cookies on a plate, etc.)
Jewelry: Anything from chunky to elegant. If you’re going for a dramatic look, try rhinestone/costume jewelry, chandelier earrings, even a bracelet. Bring options and we can work with it. For an understated look, small earrings/studs and a simple necklace that has significance ads a really nice touch. You don’t have to wear jewelry, but often it’s lovely to add.
Shoes: Just as important as underwear! It’s amazing what a splendid pair of shoes can do for a boudoir shoot. I’m a huge fan of barefeet, but those sultry heels do amazing things for a sexy outfit.
Hosiery: Thigh highs, fish nets, garters - great ways to add more touches to your look.
Other: Men's hats, masquerade mask, Men's ties, fresh flowers/petals, vintage Coca Cola bottles, martini or other adult beverage in the appropriate glass, hand fans, pillbox hats, feather boas (tho I think these tend to be a bit over the top of not done correctly), big feathers, paper parasols, fruit (apples are great, add a lovely pop of color, but a bunch of grapes can look stunning too), Candy (big lillipops, cotton candy on a stick, licorice, etc.)